Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cloth Diapering, it's Not For Wimps

freshly washed diapers on the line!

It's been a while since I did a cloth diaper update. I have been taking a break from cloth diapering over the past coupe of months. With pregnancy complications and holidays thrown into the mix, as well as moving to a new house, I have not been able to get into the groove of cloth diapering again. I have also gotten away from making my homemade wipes. I miss using them, and was planning to make some this week. But I could not find the wipe container I normally use. I suppose it is still packed in a box somewhere from the move. I am not in a hurry to unpack at the moment, as we will be moving shortly after the baby comes in just over 5 months...BUT I am determined to get back into my cloth diapering routine. I am also throwing around the idea of cloth diapering my newborn too. This decision is not easy for me, because it means at least one more load of laundry every day since I will have 2 in diapers...

I will be honest, I do not cloth diaper because it is fun. It is not fun at all. I do it because it saves our family money and is better for my baby's health. What I especially dislike is spraying off poopy diapers. Thankfully breastfed babies poo is water soluble and diapers can be thrown straight into the washer without having to spray them. The diapers I have will work for a small size baby, but not a newborn. So I am contemplating using prefolds for my newborn. I have 40 prefold diapers that I bought a few months ago, along with 10 barely used pocket diapers. They are very plain diapers, but they have been working just fine for Mary at this point. The pocket diapers are called OhBabyKa. They are definitely not a high quality brand name, but they do the job. That is all I care about. I have discontinued use of microfiber inserts all together. They are synthetic garbage as far as I am concerned. They hold in smells and cause diaper rashes. EWWW! The only time I may use a microfiber insert is for overnight cloth diapering, which I do not do unless I am forced to because I have no disposables. I am currently using the prefolds as inserts, and I like them much better!

I am getting a little more adventurous, and have decided that it is ok to take my baby out in a cloth diaper. As long as I am prepared. My brain seems to have a very bad memory these days and I am lucky if I even remember to bring a spare diaper with me when I go out...But with a wet bag, cloth diapering on the go isn't so bad.

Stay tuned to see if I will have the boldness to cloth diaper two babies or if I will wimp out...


6 comments:

  1. Staying tuned! Lol! I will cloth diaper the new baby, but cant handle the 2 yo in the at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you cloth diapered newborn babies before? How did it go?

      Delete
  2. Of my 6 kiddos, I cloth diapered the last 3 pretty much all the time. I think it makes potty training much easier for them, as they "know" what wet feels like. I never had 2 in diapers at a time tho'. Good luck with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that my toddler could be close to potty training after the baby is born...but I am not one to force potty training. I allow the child to potty train at their own pace. All kids are different though, and I will not get my hopes up. My toddler will be just under 2 years old when the baby arrives.

      Delete
  3. This isn't about cloth diapering, but I try to keep changing supplies in my car so I don't have to bring a diaper bag on short errands or in case I forget to bring anything. --Raani

    ReplyDelete
  4. For newborns I would use 2-3 newborn sized covers, preferrably with pul inside so you can wipe it out if needed. I just use cheapy gerber flats that you can find in walmart for the first month or so, you change the baby so much in the beginning that the diapers dont really need that much absorbancy. as baby gets older you can start using the prefolds in the covers, then using them as inserts in the pockets. I still use my infant sized prefolds in my 21 pound one year old pocket diapers, never had a leak! Good luck, its easy once you get in the swing of it.

    ReplyDelete