Thursday, November 7, 2013

Finally a natural deodorant that works!

I have been using natural deodorants for over 2 years. Before I started using "natural" deodorants I used Dove for many years. I hated that my under arms were dark and discolored and I was always really self conscience of it. I also had irritation every time I would shave. It was just not a good situation. I decided it was time for change. SO why not try out natural deodorants. I started out using Tom's Apricot deodorant. I really liked the scent and it seemed to work, OK. I would have to reapply at least 1x per day. I noticed right away that the dark spots under my arms were fading. Eventually my skin was completely restored after using Tom's for about 3 months. That proves to me how bad regular deodorant is for you. I was still not completely satisfied with Tom's deodorant. So I went on a mission to find one that worked for me. I tried out using just baking soda, but that only lasted for an hour or two until I actually started sweating. I also tried a salt crystal type deodorant. It was only a little better than the straight baking soda. Reluctantly, I went back to Tom's. Every couple of months I would get terrible skin irritation under my arms from it. I would then try out some other natural deodorant until I developed the same problem. I had thought about not using any deodorant at all. But it only took a couple of days to figure out THAT wasn't going to work. So I started searching online for recipes to make my own. At first the thought of making my own brought me back to the time I tried using straight baking soda...! But I decided to try it out anyway. And, I am so very glad I did. I absolutely LOVE my homemade deodorant. I like it so much that I told a random stranger at Whole Foods, that was staring at the deodorants, about it! Ha ha! I have been using it for the past few months. I only have to put it on 1x a day. I thought I would share my recipe with you. There is only 3 ingredients...

Equal parts of:

baking soda

&

corn starch

then stir in

extra virgin coconut oil

a little at a time until you have a thick paste

And there you have it! So simple, with ingredients that you probably already have. You can also add you own essential oils, if desired. I store mine in a Pyrex container. But any container with a lid will be fine. I use about a 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup corn starch and a couple spoons full of coconut oil and it lasts me several weeks. I apply it with my fingers, but you could probably put it right back into you old deodorant container to make it even easier. It is so cheap and easy to make, why not try it out?

3 comments:

  1. usually essential oils work for me. Different ones work better than others, I had to switch to the spray salt deo once I got pregnant because the smell of everything bothered me, but I was to afraid to try this because it just sounded to weird putting oil on my pits! lol! Maybe I will try it now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this was on my to-do list for months, before I finally got around to it this week. I must tell you, it is THE SINGLE MOST EFFECTIVE deodorant I have ever used in my life. I added some essential oils just for a nice smell, but this stuff works incredibly well!!

    Should have made this months ago instead of stinking all summer (Arizona heat + postpartum hormone changes = bad combo).

    You may have saved my social life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad! It is really hard to find deodorant that actually works, I know! I haven't made this in a while and I really miss it. Toms doesn't work half as well.

      Delete