Monday, January 7, 2013

A yummy discovery...

A couple months ago I received a cookbook called, The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook. I really like her recipes. They are simple to prepare and I haven't tried one that our family didn't like. One of my favorite recipes in her cookbook is BBQ Lentils. I have made a new discovery, I LOVE LENTILS! I have made lentil soup in the past, but I did not know that there is a whole lot more that you can do with them. I double the recipe for my family and we have the leftovers for another meal! Here it is...

BBQ Lentils
1 cup red or green lentils
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar or honey
1 clove garlic, crushed

In a saucepan bring to a boil, lentils, 3 cups of water. Simmer for 20+ minutes until the lentils are soft. After they are fully cooked mix in BBQ sauce, brown sugar/honey, and crushed garlic. Simmer for a few more minutes.

These lentils are great on top of a bed of rice with a side of acorn squash. The best part about this recipe is that it is VERY inexpensive. Brown rice and lentils together are a complete protein source, add squash on the side and you have a complete nutritious meal to serve your family. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family!

Sorry I do not have a picture, I gobbled them down before I remembered to take one!

No comments:

Post a Comment