Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Manners...what your mother didn't tell you



I'm finding out that manners are not at all natural to a child nor do they come about without some embarrassment and patience. I never really put thought into the fact that my mother taught me manners and how difficult it must have been. It is crazy that I have to tell my 5 year old numerous times not to do something because it is rude, or not to just say everything she thinks because it could be offensive. Or to close the door when she is in the bathroom or changing her clothes. Or to ask please and say thank you for things. And the list goes on and on. I am sure I haven't even thought of everything that my children need to learn. There are so many things that I am grateful that my mom took the time to teach me about manners.One thing I do know is that it takes patience and understanding as well as the proper response to an child to correct them and mold them into polite young people. Sometimes I only take notice of some problem with etiquette  after some form of embarrassment. Live and learn I suppose. Once a friend of mine told me of a book that taught children manners and used scripture for explanation, it is called Polite Moments. This book has been quite helpful in keeping me one step ahead of my children in teaching them manners. But some things are only learned from experience. It is important to me that my children are polite because as Christans they portray Jesus to the world. The world needs some good examples of Christianity because there are so many bad examples out there. I will do my best to teach my children these important life lessons in manners and hopefully they will look back and thank their mom for taking the time, when they have their own children of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment